Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Dear Bonnie Brae School Community,
It has been a great full week of learning here at Bonnie Brae! I want to thank all of our families for the wonderful warm-welcome I have received this week. Bonnie Brae is truly a special place, and I am so honored to be your principal.
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the Bonnie Brae staff and families this week. As a reminder, if you’d like the chance to connect with me briefly over Zoom (15 minutes), please email Kathy Rials ([email protected]) or Heidi Vallejos ([email protected]) to request an appointment. These meetings continue to give me a chance to get to hear about your family, to hear your Hopes and Dreams for Bonnie Brae, and hear what I can do to support the success of our Scotties.
Additionally, don’t forget to share your thinking with me through the “Bonnie Brae Descriptors” survey in which I am asking for input from our families. This very brief survey allows families to share with me 3-5 words they feel best describe the great things about Bonnie Brae. If you haven’t already done so, please take the time over the next week or so to open up the survey (linked here) and share your thinking with me. As an FYI, to respect everyone’s privacy, individual responses will only be seen by me. 😊
Enjoy the long weekend!
Morgan Birge, Principal
Family. Relationships. Success.
Bonnie Brae Elementary SchoolPreparing for Virtual Instruction
As we prepare to observe the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, we are also monitoring the forecast, which indicates the chance for inclement weather Sunday and Monday. Please take a few minutes before the weekend to prepare for the possibility of an inclement weather virtual learning day. Inclement weather virtual learning days will be announced in the same ways that we make all emergency weather announcements, which are posted to the web, text and email, social media, Red Apple 21 and through the local media. Information on how FCPS makes weather decisions is available online.
What to Expect on a Virtual Learning Inclement Weather Day Virtual learning will be synchronous or live, teacher-led instruction. However, teachers may prepare emergency asynchronous lessons that can be used if they have issues connecting due to power or other unforeseen circumstances.
The Inclement Weather Virtual Learning Day Schedule will be utilized.
- ALL Elementary Schools will begin at 10:30 AM
- ALL Middle and High Schools will begin on a two-hour delay
We have prepared Virtual Instruction Guide for families detailing all of the necessary information your family will need to join us virtually. Additionally, here are the modified Virtual Learning Schedules for all grade levels and programs. Our amazing teachers have worked hard this week preparing their Zoom sessions and Schoology Courses. In summary, all students will access Virtual Synchronous instruction in the event of a weather closure through their Homeroom and Specialist Schoology Courses.
FCPS shared that our next snow day and those thereafter will be virtual days running on an approximate two-hour delay schedule. ALL elementary schools will run from 10:30AM – 3:15PM. See the planned schedule for our snow days above. Important information for parents:
- All instruction will take place through Schoology/Zoom.
- Students and staff are all expected to take laptops home with them to prepare for snow and quarantine instructions (kindergarten will begin taking home devices on Fridays). Tech Support for Families page
- On snow days, students should begin logging in at 10:15 AM to allow time to familiarize themselves prior to morning meeting. Student attendance will be taken.
- All Bonnie Brae students & staff will have a midday break for lunch, physical activity, and a break from screen time from 12:15PM-1:15PM
- Students will access classroom instruction in their classroom Schoology/Zoom link for both Homeroom and Specialist Courses.
- Academic blocks will begin with synchronous instruction, then teachers may assign students asynchronous work either on or away from their computers that relate to the content.
- Specific specials schedules with Zoom information will be provided the day of any virtual snow day (specials schedules will be specific to the day of the week)
- Preschool teachers will contact their parents and determine an age-appropriate schedule/day for their young learners
We also will have our Technology Team on standby each morning of Virtual Instruction from 9:45AM-11:00AM via Zoom. If you have questions or are having trouble, our Tech Team will get you right on track for a successful day!Internet Connectivity- MiFi Devices
If you do not have internet service at home, you may request a MiFi device for your student. The MiFi will allow your child to connect the FCPS laptop to the internet for learning. The MiFi is filtered to block harmful or inappropriate websites. If you do not have internet access in your home, you may request a MiFi by contacting the Erica Demick, [email protected].COVID Weekly Update
Every week, we will provide an update on our COVID-19 status to keep you informed. In cooperation with the Fairfax County Health Department we have identified more than one student at Bonnie Brae who has reported testing positive for COVID-19 during the week of January 10 – January 14.
FCPS also maintains a Covid-19 dashboard that is updated daily with cases from the school and division level. Parents interested in following specific numbers at Bonnie Brae can refer to the COVID-19 Dashboard on the FCPS website to keep you informed and aware throughout the week. If you have any questions about how we are staying safe so we can keep learning in person, please contact the BBES office at 703-321-3900.
We all play a part in stopping the spread of COVID-19.
For more information on COVID-19 Supports and Resources, please visit the Virginia Department of Health website.Navigating the Current COVID Surge
With the rise in COVID-19 cases throughout our region, we anticipate significant impacts on our day-to-day routines in school. While we know January won’t be “business as usual,” we want to have students safely in school where they can continue to have social interactions and learn with the assistance of highly skilled educators by their side. Our number one priority is to provide continuous in-person instruction safely.
FCPS has been working hard to prepare for the staffing shortages that will impact us in every way - from classroom instruction to bus drivers to food service employees. We ask for your partnership and patience as we adapt our operations to keep students in school.
Here are some ways you can help Bonnie Brae continue with in-person learning:
- Keep your children home when they are sick.
- Have your child vaccinated or boosted, which is the best protection against serious illness caused by COVID-19.
- Sign your child up for optional screening testing and make use of our diagnostic testing if your child has symptoms.
- Consider alternative ways to get your child to school, such as walking, cycling or carpooling, to minimize late arrival to school.
- Remind your child about our layered prevention strategies including proper mask wearing, hand washing and using hand sanitizer.
- Apply to be a substitute teacher.
Thank you for your ongoing support and partnership as we navigate this surge with our focus on student safety and education.Positivity Project
We continue to work to empower students to build positive relationships through the Positivity Project. For the next week, the focus will be on Perserverance.
“Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding on the 20th.” -Julie Andrews
To learn more about the Positivity Project and the 24 character strengths, click here.Lockdown Drill
The lockdown drill will be next Wednesday, January 19, 2022. This will provide time for staff and students to re-establish routines after an extended winter break.
Lockdown Drills are used to describe security measures taken to protect against intruders.
- All students stay in place with a teacher or staff member.
- Students and teachers remain in locked classrooms, unobservable from outside (lights-off, window blinds closed, door windows obscured with paper) and outside potential lines of fire.
- Students and staff members disregard fire alarms.
- No one enters or exits the school, except public safety personnel.
- Persons in trailers remain in locked trailers.
Bonnie Brae's 6th Grade Parents should have received an invitation from Ms. Frank for the Rising 7 Parent Night Presentations via Zoom beginning at 7:00 PM on January 20. Read more about the Rising 7 Parent Night Presentation and resources available.Virtual Math Night
Please join the Math department heads and representatives from both middle and high school math departments on January 18th from 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM for Virtual Math Night. During this time we will discuss some things to consider when selecting a math course for your student in their upcoming school year. There will be time for break out sessions to have questions answered by representatives for select courses including Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, AFDA (Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis), AP math courses, and IB math courses. Please plan to join the Zoom Webinar session via the following link. Google meet will be used for the breakout sessions. Links for the breakout sessions will be shared during the virtual meeting on January 18th.
Zoom link: https://myfcpsk12.zoom.us/j/94083057747
- Kim Longworth, MS Math Department Chair
- Daniel Southard, HS Math Department Chair
Every month, our Administrative Team offers an opportunity for our community to come together and hear about happenings at BBES! Please join us next Wednesday, January 19 from 10:00AM - 11:00 AM via Zoom. We will be taking time to review some of the latest Covid-19 health protocols and hear some tech tips in the event students would need to access virtual instruction due to weather.Winter Concert Updates
With current COVID restrictions, our fine arts concert will be held this month, instead of the usual December date. We will present a pre-recorded band (6th Grade), strings (5th/6th Grade), and choir (5th/6th Grade) concert next week!
We will record the concert during the school day and send the recording via a link to families the following week. Due to the snow week at the beginning of the month, we have pushed our concert day back to give our students more time to prepare.
- January 28 – New Concert Date
Again, this concert will be recorded and sent to families. Below are the dress codes for each performing group.
- Band: Black bottoms, white tops, and optional winter accessories
- Choir: Black bottoms, white tops, and optional winter accessories
- Strings: Black bottoms, white tops, and optional winter accessories
Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to sharing this presentation with you! -BBES Music DepartmentFCPS Cares
The FCPS Cares Program is an opportunity for parents, staff, and community members to recognize FCPS employees for going above and beyond to help others and show they care. We invite you to submit your story so we can acknowledge our Bonnie Brae staff members.PTO Meeting Reminder
Next Week, Thursday, January 20 from 6:00 - 7:00 PM, the Bonnie Brae PTO will be hosting the monthly meeting via Zoom.
Hate to cook, shuffling kids between activities?! Make dinner easy by joining us for an all week fundraiser to support Bonnie Brae Elementary School PTO! Get your Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner @ Chick-Fil-A!
The Bonnie Brae PTO is hosting an event at the Burke Centre Chik Fil A Spirit Week during the week of January 31 – February 4th anytime between 6 AM - 10 PM (5815 Burke Centre Pkwy, Burke, VA 22015).
- 15% of all orders placed during the entire week will be donated to the PTO.
- Be sure to mention Bonnie Brae Elementary when placing your order!
There are many opportunities to volunteer or serve as a committee chair/member. We are also looking to fill 2 vacant Board Positions!
Please contact [email protected] for more information on the PTO Activities listed below:
- PTO EVENTS. Movie Nights, Bingo Night, Fall Festival, Thanksgiving Luncheon, STEAM Fair / BBES Art Fair, Dances, Spring Carnival, Field Day, Multicultural Night
- PTO FUNDRAISING. Corporate Sponsorship Liaisons, Restaurant Nights, Fall Fundraiser - Charleston Wrap, Spring Fundraiser – Read-a-Thon
- PTO PROGRAMS. After School Enrichment, Teacher Taught Enrichment Classes, School Assemblies
- BBES SUPPORT. Staff Appreciation Activities, Garden/Campus Cleanup, Military & New Family Liaisons, Diversity Committee, Inclusion Committee, Rising Kindergarten Activities, Watch D.O.G.S.
PTO SUPPORT. Facebook Page and Website, Membership/Community Communications, Volunteer Coordinators, Financial Reconciliation Committee, Election Nominating Committee
- January 6- Three Kings Day
- January 7- Orthodox Christmas
- January 17- MLK Jr. Day (No School)
- January 18- Robinson SS Virtual Math Night (Zoom)
- January 19- Lockdown Drill
- January 19- Parent Coffee (Zoom)
- January 20- PTO Meeting (Zoom)
- January 20- Robinson MS Rising 7 Parent Information Night (7:00PM)
- January 20- End of Q2; 2-hour Early Release
- January 21- Teacher Work Day
- January 24- Student Holiday/Staff Development Day
- January 28- Winter Concert
- January 31- February 4- Chick Fil A Spirit Week
Office Hours8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Instructional Hours8:20 AM - 3:15 PM
(703) 321 - 3900
These messages are also archived on our website.
Subscribe to News You Choose emails.