Federal law permits the disclosure of “directory information” from a student’s records prior to written consent unless the parent has opted out of such disclosure. Directory information is routine information that is generally not considered harmful to disclose. School yearbook photos are included in this category. FCPS defines directory information as including (but not limited to):
- Name, including nickname
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Height and weight, if a member of an athletic team
- Attendance record
- Degrees, awards, and honors
- School and grade
- Photographs and other images that feature the student
- Name of parent or guardian or individual with whom student lives
- Birth date
- Student gender and primary or home language (for limited purposes only—see FCPS’ Annual Notice)
- Address, phone number, and parent email address(es) (for limited purposes only—see FCPS’ Annual Notice)
- Student identification (ID) number (for limited purposes only)
The information items designated as directory information may be provided to requesters outside FCPS, for example, the media, school-related organizations such as PTAs and booster organizations, and state and county agencies. For example, we provide directory information (unless parents have opted out) to our PTO for the creation of the PTO directory. If parents do not wish any or all directory information items to be released, they must return an Objection to Release of Directory Information to the Public in the Annual Notice. Parents can choose a Comprehensive or Limited Opt-Out options. Comprehensive Opt-Out Option would completely exclude your child from all school publications including the school yearbook.
During the school year, Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) may produce or participate in videotape, motion picture, audio recording, or still photograph productions, which may involve the use of students' names, likenesses, or voices. Such productions may be used for educational or exhibition purposes by FCPS, may be sold to other school systems or education professionals, and may be copied, copyrighted, edited, and distributed by FCPS.
Parents have the right to object to the use of their child's name, picture, or voice in these productions. To do so, they must return the Objection to Release of Directory Information to the Public in the Annual Notice.
Annual Notice opt-out booklet can be accessed at through the FCPS website.