Homework is an excellent means of providing students with the opportunity to reinforce skills they have learned at school as well as developing time management skills and responsibility. All students are expected to complete homework assignments. On average, homework across disciplines should not exceed one-half hour at the primary level (kindergarten-1st-2nd-3rd grades) and one hour at the upper elementary level (4th-5th-6th grades).
Parents can help students develop effective study skills and complete homework assignments by:
1. Providing space for doing homework and a specific time for study.
2. Providing books and opportunities to read.
3. Reading to the child.
4. Encouraging the exploration of the world outside the classroom.
5. Providing the tools to aid learning.
6. Maintaining communication with teachers and counselors.
If you feel that your child is spending an inordinate amount of time to complete homework or assignments are not being understood please contact the teacher to discuss the matter and so that adjustments can be made.